Almond Butter Banana Bread

baking cinnamon ornaments with my buddy at christmas

Now that the holidays are over and my workload at my job has slowed down a bit (although not much - this weekend was the first full weekend I had off work!), I've been hit with the ORGANIZE and CLEAN EVERYTHING IN SITE bug and suddenly nothing is safe.  I cleaned out all of my old and unused cookbooks and then organized all of my cooking magazines by month (!) so I can refer to them seasonally.  I wiped down the top of the fridge and cleaned out the inside of my trash cans.  I tossed all the old stuff lurking in the freezer.  I haven't tackled the pantry yet, but that is next on my list. 

All of that to say that I really really wanted to bake something on Saturday afternoon and as I much as I wanted to make cookies, we actually still have Christmas cookies in the freezer that we are slowly nibbling on.  Plus I really wanted to use up ingredients that I already had on hand so I could keep up my purging/cleaning kick.  I have millions of  several bananas in the freezer as well as almond butter and almond flour so I went searching for a different type of banana quick bread.  I usually use a Dorie Greenspan recipe but this time I wanted something less sweet, with a bit more substance/heft to it.  I settled on a recipe that uses almond butter in the batter and it turned out great!  The tweaks I made:

- used 3/8 cup oil, 3/8 cup applesauce
- used 1 cup AP flour, 1/4 cup cornmeal, 1/4 cup almond flour - the cornmeal gave the bread a subtle crunch which I loved.

This bread keeps well in the freezer, and toasts up beautifully.

Link to original recipe here.

Comments

Popular Posts